The Bristol Ornithological Club (BOC) was founded, in 1966.
The Aims of the Club
- To promote, and encourage the study of ornithology in all its branches in the Bristol and district area.
- To hold regular outdoor meetings and longer holiday trips throughout the year and winter indoor meetings.
- To publish; a monthly bulletin Bird News; annually, the Avon Bird Report (in conjunction with Bristol Naturalists’ Society); occasionally a journal Bristol Ornithology* and other submissions deemed appropriate by the General Committee. All publications may be in an electronic format.
- Helping and encouraging those new to bird watching (birding) by sharing knowledge and identification skills.
- Supporting and assisting conservation projects through active co-operation with local organisations and national ornithological bodies e.g. Bristol Naturalists’ Society, Bristol Water, Avon Wildlife Trust, BTO.
- Promoting field research through co-operative and individual studies.
- Creating and updating a Club web site to promote the Club’s activities and to facilitate and widen birding activities more generally
* (*Bristol Ornithology will take the form of papers and short notes by members.)
General Committee for 2019
- Chairman – Alastair Fraser
- Secretary – Richard Belson
- Treasurer – Keith Williams
- Membership Secretary – Judy Copeland
Jane Cummings, William Earp, Robert Hargreaves, Nick Hawkridge, Mike Jackson, Sue Kempson, Gareth Roberts, Mark Watson, Jason Williams.
If you would like to be considered for the committee, or are willing to help on a co-opted basis, drop us a line via the contact us page.